Combat units in SY and hide/show fleet

Combat units that finished don’t join in combat, they require to be in a fleet.

So basically you’re forced to create repeat queues to load them up like this.image

I prefer them simply joining combat, or do we want people to be able to hide/show their fleet at will since a surface scan does not reveal them.

Added to post:

1. I can hide my fleet that is unable to fight. When the enemy arrives I can load them up and send them off without triggering combat. Invisiblity cloak ftw?
  2. With the current code I can hide my vulnerable units through the tactic above and do maximum damage by leaving the units I want in orbit.

Counter to this, I have just lost some fleet elsewhere, I am rebuilding and want to go and fight back. Someone comes along and sits a fleet over the planet, it doesn’t have to be large but big enough to kill any fighters I build every 4 turns. Should I then lose any small amount of ships I can build?

Ps I am a new player who doesn’t have an alliance yet.

Yes you should if it means fleets will be able to completely vanish at will. Who’s gonna block some alliance less player in Galaxy 34. Aside from the fact I don’t want people to be able to vanish here are two additional problems.

1. I can hide my fleet that is unable to fight. When the enemy arrives I can load them up and send them off without triggering combat. Invisiblity cloak ftw?

2. With the current code I can hide my vulnerable units through the tactic above and do maximum damage by leaving the units I want in orbit.

I don’t see why you would want this.

Why should a new player be stuck in Gal 34? I can see a few new players having plenty of fun in Gal 1 at the minute :wink:

1. Maybe that is something to look into but transfer actions happen during the turn so it may be all or nothing. The original Jupiter code allowed planets to be blockaded but it was a bit of a rubbish way to fight tbh - also a bug that meant load/unload happened before combat. You could suicide transports and unload pop on the planet, or load fleet up and run etc. goes into reply to 2.

2. Happened in Jupiter code, used pretty effectively once people knew the combat code. Applies to fighting battles generally though, maximise damage but minimise loses. New combat code could take care of that.

If he is in G1, welcome to the party and don’t complain, if your goal is to make game play in G1 newbie friendly you got yourself a hell of a challenge.

1. Dodging combat like that is a total no go for me if it’s all or nothing. I can’t think of a single argument to support this.

2. We’ll see what the new combat code will look like. This is way too defender friendly, of course I’ll use it if it’s part of the code, doesn’t make it less weird the defender can just pick the battle he chooses. IF overkill is implemented it could be less of a problem since you blow up the defender fairly easy if he hides most of his fleet. As it should be.

Top alliances will always make the best out of a mechanic you implement. Their ability to cope with it on Jupiter does not make it a solid game mechanic. Humble opinion.

G1 should be the pinnacle, competative and dangerous. Absolutely, a new player that just lost his fleet and has no alliance should be thrown right out of G1. If there are no consequences for failure, there is no suspense to battle.

New players will be MUCH more inspired to keep playing if they build up a modest empire in G34, talk to an alliance that will let them in, and work their way into the inner ring. G1 should be something you achieve, not receive.