Financing everything

Well, we all know, that we are here to stay and DarkGalaxy will be at least as succesfull as it once was and therefore will demand lots of ressources and time from the developer(s) - and I am sure, Craig isn’t doing all the sht just to make some aged grumpys even more grumpier. So I had some thoughts about what other games let down and made it only accessible for unemployed freaks or wealthy retirees.

The way Innogames went: I played something called Grepolis some years ago, which was a fun experience just way too demanding and time consuming, as actions within the game sometimes only took some minutes of time - to be successful you had to be on 24/7. Innogames started to add some “comfort features” in the beginning, especially a variety of consultants, which took over some parts of the micro-management but also already added strength to your troops or gave you increased ressource-output and faster building-times for units and buildings - though crippling everyone who wasn’t willing to pay the monthly-fee for those, even that fee had been rather low (some 50 € cents for each consutant per months of which 5 had been available). This worked for a while, until Innogames got greedier and greedier and started selling ingame items for “gold” - which you had to buy via credit card - sometimes providing instant buildings or units, huge ressource-packages and faster research - and killed the game. Suddenly we had an offspring of desperate players buying their way to the top ranks by literally spending hundreds of Euros on an ■■■■■■ online game. Quite a way for Innogames to make some quick money but surely devestating for the longer life of the game as many people sonner or later realised it coming down to a game of who has the higher cc-limit.

Having ingame benefits such as more comfort in managing your empire seems still to be the best way to keep people around. Now that we are 24/7 online anyhow, so everyone can be a bit more relaxed about gameplay and doesn’t have to leave the mistress at the restaurant just to launch an attack wave from a nearby internet-café or orphanage, getting some automation/bots or just a more easy and less ticklish way to manage planets and ressources, even by paying a monthly “premium member” fee, still appears to be the best way of financing Dark Galaxy, while not limiting the chances of those willing to watch their life going down the drain to be hyperactive or not having a RL anyhow.

Or set up some patreon of paypal-means so w just may reward the developer with the money for a cup of tea for the time being until we get that demanding, that he has to abandon family and job to kick the servers from time to time and give me my lost turn back.

4 Likes

Ild dime in to pay for food to keep the hamsters in server room running in their cartwheels.

1 Like

Good points from cracker.
I think a good first step would be to setup a patreon page or a paypal donation link and see how that works. Probably there are many of us that used to play DG 15 years ago and are willing to support the efforts now.

1 Like

Wait, orphanages allowed internet access to members of the public???

1 Like

Also, isn’t Google Analytics providing all the necessary financial gain to sustain Dark Galaxy? :grin:

2 Likes

I am all for Paypal or Patreon donations type. Please no ingame microtransaction and services :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both Frosty and Ingus have said there never will be pay to win micro-transactions.

3 Likes

As has been mentioned, Dark Galaxy will NEVER receive pay-to-win mechanics, as a person who also plays games I ■■■■■■■ detest them, and am not going to contribute to the toxic practise.

I’m gonna throw this out relatively quickly, while I do appreciate the desire to help financially compensate for the work currently being done on Dark Galaxy, there’s a pretty big ‘however’ attached to that.

Currently, DG is a passion project, for me it was never supposed to be a money maker, certainly not this early on. The issue with accepting donations and the likes is a relatively simple one: it create obligation, expectation, and realistically turns work on Dark Galaxy into a job for me, which is not currently how I want to view it.

Maybe some time in the future, I’ll look into options which will allow players to contribute, while at the same time getting some perks for doing so (while not calling it ‘Premium’ :p), for now though, just sit back and enjoy the ride :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For ducks sake, I just wanne send you some money for coffee to keep them hamsters running ^^

3 Likes

Same here…no expecations :slight_smile:

Pay for longer queue lenght is not pay to win and might help to get those new Lamborghinis u need

1 Like